Postinor-2 is not just any contraceptive, but an emergency contraceptive only. Therefore its not meant to be used as a regular method of preventing pregnancy.
It is used to prevent pregnancy when taken within 72hrs (3 days) after unprotected sex. It is almost impossible to prevent pregnancy after 7-15 days of unprotected sex.
While at it, bear in mind that contraceptives are not 100% effective in preventing pregnancy. Postinor2 itself is 85% effective in preventiving pregnancy, however, it is 95% effective when taken within 24hrs after unprotected sex, the chances decline to 58% if taken between 48 and 72hrs after unprotected sex.
It is also important to know that postinor-2 will not prevent you from contacting sexually transmitted diseases.
• Repeated use of postinor2 may cause disruption of normal menstrual cycle and irregular bleeding.
• Postinor2 should not be used alongside antibiotics (such as; ampicillin, rifampicin, chloramphenicol, neomycin, tetracyclines), barbiturates, and sulphonamiders.
DO NOT TAKE POSTINOR2 IF:
• You are experiencing vaginal bleeding for an unknown reason
• You have breast cancer
• You havee disease conditions such as; asthma, high blood pressure, epilepsy, depression, hyperlipidaemia, migraine, heart failure.
How to take postinor-2
Take one tablet as soon as possible after unprotected sex. The earlier you take it, the more effectivce it is likely to be. Take the second tablet exactly 12hrs after the first tablet.
Common side effects of postinor-2 are;
• Nausea and vomiting
• Stomach pain
• Tender breast
• Increased vaginal bleedinhg
• Skin reactions
What if I don’t get my period within 3 weeks of taking the tablets?
Well, you must see your doctor, as you may be pregnant.