Indigestion is the discomforting feeling you have while eating or after eating. It may be a feeling of pains, or burns on the upper part of your stomach.
Many times, indigestion is not a condition itself, rather a sign of a hidden disease such as ulcers, gall bladder diseases. Treating indigestion therefore depends on what causes it.
Symptoms of indigestion
- Nausea and vomiting
- Releasing gas suddenly from the stomach through the mouth
- Acidic taste in your mouth
- Upper abdominal pain
- Feeling full easily while eating.
Indigestion can be caused by:
i. Diseases such as ulcers, GERD, stomach cancer, thyroid disease, stomach infections, inflamed pancreas.
ii. Medications such as antibiotics, birth control pills, pain-relieving medications, thyroid medicines.
iii. Lifestyle such as:
- Eating too fast when you are stressed
- Drinking too much alcohol
- Poor eating posture
Indigestion often stops on its own after a few hours, so you might not need any treatment at all.
The treatment you get will depend on what is causing the indigestion.
For indigestion that is not caused by a disease condition, the use of antacids such as mistmag, gestid, and so on, can ease the symptoms.
There are certain things you can do to prevent indigestion ;
- Avoid late-night eating
- Chew with your mouth covered
- Do not eat too fast
- Avoid talking while chewing
- Always relax after meals; do not exercise immediately after eating, exercise at least one hour after eating.
- Do not lie down immediately after you’ve eaten.
- Reduce how you take foods, and drinks that have caffeine.
Home remedies for Indigestion
- Drink a cup of ginger tea to soothe your stomach and get rid of indigestion. Alternatively, you can suck on ginger candy, drink ginger ale, or make your own ginger water by boiling one or two pieces of ginger root in four cups of water. Adding flavor with lemon or honey before drinking, may be of added benefit.
- Mix a tablespoon of lemon juice in a hot or water, and drink a few minutes before eating.
- Drink a cup of peppermint tea after eating, or keep a few pieces of peppermint in your pocket and suck on the candy after eating.